LIB200 Assignment #3

For my research paper I want to do something that I feel is an opener for many people. I am torn between two different ideas for this research paper. The first idea, being a close reading analysis. I enjoyed a glimpse of the World’s Fair and its technological portrayal of technology and suburbia. How people wanted to live the American dream of owning a house and a car. Also how people desperately needed work and the World’s Fair being like a business for those who needed employment after the war. I can also compare it to global warming and how it could have affect the world more than helping it.

The second impression is the “Popular Science” which is research idea number four. For this idea it would be based on two different cultures that I would explore. It could be science and the humanities being a authoritative idea. The book that I would choose for the paper would be The Tipping Point: How little Things Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. This book has many different idea on how people communicate, how epidemics start, Psychological cases in different cultures. So many different things put in a small book that makes you see the world differently.
I am more interest in the fourth idea but I am finding difficult to get a good thesis statement that can put both science and humanities into a similar category.Though it is a risk it will be one that I will take. I am going to be doing my research paper on idea number four. I feel that this will give me a better idea on popular science and different aspect because the book is general and interesting in many different ways.

To give you a glimpse of not just real life but psychologically what people do is the called the bystander effect. In the Tipping Point there is a case of a young girl whose name was Kitty Genovese who could have been alive today if one person would have called the cops or came to her aid. She was attacked three times on the street in thirty minutes. The assailant left her alive the first two times and she screamed for help. Thirty-eight people heard her but no one helped her. After the third time she was left dead. Why did no one help her? None of the people who heard her scream helped because each one thought that one of the other thirty- eight people would help. This is a context that is in the book and made me realize how humans think alike but conclude in such tragedies. There are also epidemics like HIV and fashion; hush puppies, smoking, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lingering/Class Work

LIB200 Assignment 5